We love going to Budapest, and these are our favourite things to do there as a family.
- Visit the zoo and watch other people feeding the hippos, one of the world’s most dangerous creatures.
- Go to the circus and you might see a man putting his head in a lion’s mouth.
- Take a ride through the Buda Hills on the Children’s Railway, which is run by uniformed schoolchildren (even on schooldays), apart from the train drivers, who are adults.
- Take the Libegö chairlift for a gentle 1040 metre ride from the hills back down to the city.
- Warm up at Széchenyi thermal baths, the largest spa complex in Europe, where you can wallow in the outside pools while it snows.
- Drink champagne at Sunday Brunch at the 5 star Corinthia Budapest, where you can eat what you like while the children seem to blend into the surroundings. (Maybe they’re just hypnotised by the string quartet and dessert counter).
- Hire a four wheeled ‘bringo’ so that you can cycle as one around Margit Island, which lies in the centre of the Danube which bisects the city. This is a real test of family teamwork.
- Try to ride a unicycle or drive a square-wheeled car at the Palace of Wonders in Millenáris Park.
- When it’s hot, swim at Palatinus Strand, where the locals go to relax. It’s a bit run down, but there are eleven different pools and kids love it.
- Go upstairs in the vast 19th century Central Market Hall for traditionally crafted toys and souvenirs.
Leave a Reply